3D CAM for CNC machines and robot
CAM Experience – Release Notes
(1) Updates of of CATIA UNIGRAPHICS SP2 (versione 2018 1.0.2) Importers.
The main news of this release note are the support of Catia V5 R28 and Solidworks 2018 formats. The error related to the STEP file reading has been solved.
(3) Update of the main CAD native format importers (2018) as: Catia V4, Catia V5, Unigraphics, PRO/E, Inventor, SolidWorks.
(2) New version (SR2) of the native importers: these are the main news:
- CATIA V5 Reader:
Added support for CATIAV5R27
- Inventor Reader:
TranslateDefaultWorkplanes Option Support
- NX Reader:
The NX Reader supports version NX 11 available from Hot Fix 2017.1.0.0.17
Prior to 3D InterOp 2017 1.0.2, captures were based on camera. Beginning with this release, captures will be based on Model Views in NX.
Translation of Part level Default work planes, for files having version NX 8.0 and higher, will be controlled by the TranslateDefaultWorkplanes option.
- Solid Edge Reader:
Translation of Assembly level work planes is supported.
Translation of Part as well as Assembly level Default work planes will be controlled by the TranslateDefaultWorkplanes option.
- SolidWorks 2017 Version Support:
The SolidWorks Reader supports version SolidWorks 2017
(1) Update of the main CAD native format importers as: Catia V4, Catia V5, Unigraphics, PRO/E, Inventor, SolidWorks e Step.
Updates and bug fixing related to STEP format as previously reported.
(2) Update of the main CAD native format importers as: Catia V4, Catia V5, Unigraphics, PRO/E, Inventor, SolidWorks e Step.
Updates and bug fixing related to STEP format.
(1) Update of the main CAD native format importers as: Catia V4, Catia V5, Unigraphics, PRO/E, Inventor, SolidWorks and Step.
This new version (V26sr1) allows to import files of the latest CAD version and adding the compatibility with Window 10.
The new library can be used only under the subscription to 2016 maintenance agreement.
(7) We have updated the importers (V25sr2) of native file for the following CAD Systems: Catia V4, Catia V5, Unigraphics, PRO/E, Inventor, SolidWorks, SolidEdge and Step.
(6) We have updated the Catia V4, Catia V5, Unigraphics, PRO/E, Inventor, SolidWorks e Step native CAD file importers.
This new version includes the correction to the surface normal when importing files from Catia V5, and the correction in import from Step format.
(5) We have updated the Catia V4, Catia V5, Unigraphics, PRO/E, Inventor, SolidWorks e Step native CAD file importers.
This new version includes a progress bar that shows the import and export file progress.
(4) The new version of SUM3D machine simulator with material removal has been released.
(3) The new SUM3D AMM (0415) version has been released. In this version many type of machinings have been improved and accelerated.
This update include the new version of the kinematic simulator. These are some of the most important improvements:
> New automatic choices to manage the tool tilting, related to the tool axis or to the direction of cut.
> New functionalities for the orientation and multi passes for Swarf machining.
> In the machining of passes parallel to surface, now it is possible to select multiple surfaces that define plane (guiding surface).
> New functionalities to manage the safe area to machining the duct.
> New possibilities in the parallel passes machining in order to extend the passes.
> New kinematic simulator with new report functions and detailed toolpath analysis. There are also new functions to make simulation by time, length or normal.
There are also several graphic options to a better view of the simulation.
(2) Updated the importers of native file for the following CAD Systems: Catia V4, Catia V5, Unigraphics, PRO/E, Inventor, SolidWorks and Step.
This new versione (V25sr1) solve a problem of creating mesh with WCS (World Coordinate System) and an import problem with Catia V5.
(1) We have update the native CAD importers: Catia V4, Catia V5, Unigraphics, PRO/E, Inventor, SolidWorks e Step.
This new version (V25sr1) lets you to import files from the latest CAD versions described.
The new library can be used dependently to the update of 2015 release (maintenance contract).
(4) As reported by customers, we have corrected some bugs related to import files.
(3) As reported by customers, we have corrected some bugs related to import of STEP files as:
1 Missing Part
2 Part of model roto-translated
3 Layer names not imported
4 Complete file not imported on some operating systems
The update (V24sr2) is available in our web site in the download area à Updates à SUM3D à Related files
(2) The following importers for native CAD files have been updated: Catia V4, Catia V5, Unigraphics, PRO/E, Inventor, SolidWorks and Step.
This new version (V24sr2) allows to import the Solidworks 2014 file formats.
(1) The following importers for native CAD files have been updated: Catia V4, Catia V5, Unigraphics, PRO/E, Inventor, SolidWorks and Step.
This new version (V24sr1) allows to import the Unigraphics NX and Solidworks file formats through the new software libraries.
This library can be used only with the update to version 2014 (maintenance contract or new license).
(13) In order to maintain the compatibility with Windows 8.1 update, a new dongle protection driver has been developed.
The new driver can be downloaded from our websites www.cimsystem.com or www.sum3ddental.com from the download area -> Updates -> SUM3D folder "Related files", download file Driver-Dongle.exe
(12) In the configuration parameter of the machine archive, a new field to determine the Operation change instruction file has been added. This field allows the selection of a file (to be created), containing program blocks that determine the behavior between two machining executed with the same tool. During the postprocessing, the application will check for the existence of the selected file in this field and it will add the related blocks with the existing programming functions into the program. If the application will not find this file, will use the standard data (those suggested by NC manufacturer).
(11) A new function in the U/V lines machining has been added. With this new function you can set a point to start the machining. Through a new windows, it is possible to set the machining XYZ starting point coordinates, typing them or getting point with mouse.
(10) The new version of SUM3D AMM (0813) has been released. In this version, new machinings and simulation functionalities have been added and speed up. These are the main news:
> New option in the swarf realigning curves (computing regeneration)
> Added the possibility to extend passes in swarf strategy
> Collision check of disc tools with automatic tilt of tool angle
> Possibility include a texture in the simulation
> Speed up the kinematic and material removal simulation (from 3 to 10 times) using an Nvidia Geforce GTX graphic board
(9) A new version (0413) of SUM3D AMM has been released. We have added new functionality and speeded up the computing time in the machining, kinematic and material removal simulation. These are the main changes:
> in the Calculation based on: strategy -> Surfaces you can find new parameters used to improve the passes along curve machining.
> in the Calculation based on: strategy -> "Wireframe" you can find new machining and parameters for the 5-axis profiling, 2-axis Rough and 2-axis profile, Engraving and Face.
> in the Calculation based on: strategy -> "Swarf machining" new parameters and new dialog to manage the collision check, multi-passes and edges have been added
> in the "collision check" a new dialog has been added to manage the behavior of the remaining collisions.
> in the connections a new dialog has been added to better manage the approach/retract and the safety areas.
> in the "approach/retract " managing, new type of approach and retract have been added.
> in the "Utility" the managing of feed rate control and markers have been improved.
> The performances of the kinematic simulator and material removal have been significantly improved both in speed and quality.
(8) The following CAD format importers have been updated: Catia V4, Catia V5, Unigraphics, PRO/E, Inventor, SolidWorks e Step. In this update (V23sr2) we added the surface color managing for the Step files.
(7) In the drilling machining function, in Spiral milling of holes, now it is possible to spiral machining the conical part of holes.
(6) In SUM3D it is now possible to make the external cylinder threading that you can find in the drilling machining.
(5) The behavior of the 3D curves pocketing machining has been modified when you are working on selected surfaces instead of curves. Now, the toolpath close to the equator line, is smoother.
(4) The following importers for native CAD files have been updated: Catia V4, Catia V5, Unigraphics, PRO/E, Inventor, SolidWorks and Step.
This new version (V23sr1) allows to import the Unigraphics NX and Solidworks file formats through the new software libraries.
This library can be used only with the update to version 2013 (maintenance contract or new license).
(3) SUM3D offer you the possibility to translate some surfaces through a translation point obtained by the intersection of three planes.
To obtain the intersection between the three planes you have to execute the rototranslation command and click on points next to the translation parameters, then select Intersection point between three planes.
(2) In the tools archive now you have the possibility to import tools components from DXF file.
(1) The following importers for native CAD files have been updated: Catia V4, Catia V5, Unigraphics, PRO/E, Inventor, SolidWorks and Step.
(21) A new parameter has been added in the drilling parameter table. It lets to set the depth of the holes area already machined. In this way it is possible to execute, with a short tool, both short and long holes, setting the maximum depth to machine and subsequently completing the longer ones with the right tool, avoiding to machine the area already worked with previous tool.
(20) New parameters have been added to the XY contouring machining. They allow to make several passes at the same depth. It can be useful during the roughing and finishing machining for the undercut machining using T tools.
(19) In the curve machining, now you can manage the curve selection by layer. Moreover, if you use the same layer where the curves to be machined are placed, it will be possible to repeat a working scheme on different objects. In this way, SUM calculates the machining without selecting the curves for any object to machine.
(18) Released the new version of the module for working with 4 or 5 axis AMM (0812).
(17) Recently Windows 8 has been released. SUM3D Dental 2013 is compatible with this new operating system. If a new computer has been bought with this new version, you have to subscribe the maintenance and update to this new version.
(16) A new command for the stock creation has been added to the surface menu.
This command, allows to create the stock to be used for the object machining. The stock can be created simply and quickly, setting its type and offset (additional material) in XY and in Z related to the imported object.
The generated stock will be automatically placed on a specific layer called <Blank> and activated has stock for the machining to be calculate.
(15) A new method in the curves and surfaces selection has been added. This new method, during selection, allows to choose the interested curves and surfaces by layer.
(14) In the tool archive, in the parameter related to the tool materials, now it is possible to show only the active materials, selecting the Show active materials flag.
In this way, in case the materials added are more than those effectively compiled for each tool, the tool parameter reference is simplified.
(13) Released the new version of the module for working with 4 or 5 axis AMM (0412). This new version contains many improvements in the management of 4 and 5 axis machining.
Faster kinematic simulator that also contains new features.
(12) The behaviour of the parameter vertical wall separation in the XY contouring machining has been changed. Now the various part of the object are better separated.
(11) A new machining simulator to check the material removal has been added. This module is derived from the kinematics simulator of SUM3D AMM.
The new system, with better performances, offers several new toolpath analysis. Here you can see several functionalities:
a) collision check between components and tools movements.
b) show the segment distribution and their vectors.
c) change the tool zero reference between center and tip.
d) create a partial or total machining movie.
e) all the graphical operations are usable during simulation.
f) display of blocks, operations, tools, movements analysis and statistics.
g) standard toolpath simulation, material removal, removal analysis, measuring and axis control.
h) machining time computing.
(10) The possibility to import/export the tools archive in a CSV format has been added.
These file types can be opened with MS Excel (for example) or can be used to exchange data between other CAD/CAM system or other software to manage the tools archive.
(9) The name of the last strategy file imported is shown in the bottom of the SUM3D interface (bottom bar).
(8) A new parameter in XY contouring has been added. It allows to discriminate between vertical and non vertical parts. Now it is possible to point out to execute the machining only on vertical parts of objects or only on those non vertical.
This parameter has been added in order to allow a greater generalization of the machining strategies. For example, for the vertical parts it is possible to apply an increment between passes greater than used for the non vertical parts.
(7) The new SUM3D installer includes new components needed to obtain the report in PDF or HTML (MHT) format, using MS Office or OpenOffice. These component must be installed in order to have these feature enable. To do that, the installer must be executed to register these new components.
(6) In the managing of components control, It is possible to set the maximum inclination angle using the command Inclination of tool axis where needed. When you close the General parameter configuration window, if this option has been selected, you will asked for the maximum allowed inclination angle, related to the axis programmed for the machining.
(5) In the preset view icon group, the new icon XY below has been added.
(4) Released the new version of the module for working with 4 or 5 axis AMM (1211).
(3) The configuration of conical tools has been modified. Now it is possible to set the height of the conical part.
(2) Update the "Rhinoceros .3DM version 4.0 SR9" importing tool.
(1) Update the importing tools for Catia V4, Catia V5, Unigraphics, PRO/E, Inventor, SolidWorks and Step native files (V22).
(8) The new release of AMM "0811" is now available. This is a fully multicore version.
Here are some of the new features:
a) improvement of the movements' link functions.
b) refining and new features of the "Cuts along curve" machining.
c) Gouge check -> "Clearances for tool parts" added new parameters to manage the conical encumbrance of the tool-holder.
d) in the link parameters added new functionalities to manage the start and the homecoming position of the machine and for the positioning along the raw.
e) added new parameters to manage the "5 axes profiling" machining by using the calculation based upon the curves.
f) improvement of the Swarf machining which is selectable from "Calculation based on".
g) added the optional strategy "3 axes special" in the strategy's types. This strategy contains a 3 and 4 axis machining set different from the SUM3D Standard's ones.
h) the kinematic and removal simulator has been improved with new graphic features for the item's section and with new collision's check verification systems.
(7) New version "V22" of importing tools from Catia V4, Catia V5, Unigraphics, PRO/E, Inventor, SolidWorks and Step native files.
(6) It has been introduced a new simulator with material removal. This simulator allows more 3 or 5 axis tool-paths analysis compared to the old one.
(5) New parameter in the "Pencil Milling".
The parameter is "Sensitivity to identify pencil milling" (1...100) 0=auto"
This parameter allows to vary the angle sensitivity to search the corner parts to be rest-milled.
By setting zero the behaviour will be the standard one. By setting a small value it will be reduced, discarding the areas where are usually run very small rest-millings. By setting an high value the areas to rest-mill will increase.
(4) Released the new version of the module for working with 4 or 5 axis AMM (1210).
(3) Update the Parasolid importing tool.
(2) Update the "Rhinoceros .3DM version 4.0 SR8" importing tool.
(1) Update the importing tools for Catia V4, Catia V5, Unigraphics, PRO/E, Inventor, SolidWorks and Step native files.
(16) A new algorithm for the "rest milling" has been introduced. Up to now it works only when some surfaces are selected and when the optimizations of XY steps are disabled. This new algorithm generates a smoother toolpath, while calculation times are greatly reduced.
(15) It has been added a new machinings management for disc tool roughing dedicated to marble sector.
For this kind of work, it has been created a new window of parameters configuration.
This window will be active by input the option <QD> in the machining name. For example: roughing <QD> The window is shown in sequence after the standard ones, normally used in these machinings. With these parameters is possible to manage disc roughing by cycle, by zone, by faces or quadrants, just managing the machinings of the rest material and optimizing approaches and retractions.
(14) New update in the "AMM" module (ver. 0910).
In this version it has been improved the machining of "Curves" and "Swarf machining".
Now the library includes the multicore version too, which allows to speed up all the calculations.
The news in this release are:
a) introduced a new kind of link: "Step". It is very useful especially when machining mesh surfaces.
b) the speed and quality of the Swarf machining have been improved.
c) In the stock management it has been introduced the definition of stock with undercuts.
d) In the kinematics simulation it has been added the calculation of machining time, the visualization of the coordinates of the collision points and the grouping by cycles in the collisions' report.
(13) A new command has been introduced in the Collision check of tool components.
In addition to the choices: "Collision toolpath deletion" and "Z shifting of collision toolpath", you can now find the new option "Tool axis tilting where needed". This choice can be applied when using "spherical" tools to obtain the automatic tilt of fourth and fifth axes to move the tool's shaft away from the object, maintaining the contact between the tool and the working surface. This option doesn't require any further parameter and can be applied to any machining. This important innovation allows the 5 axes continuous machining also on external parts of the model, for instance by "Contouring" or "3D profile pocketing" and also while performing roughing or undercut machinings.
With the addition of this powerful automatism, this product becomes a unique system with top-level performance and effectiveness, either on 4 or 5 axes machines. The high speed 5 axes machines will finally express their dynamic performances at the best, becoming the indispensable and ideal partner, having their strength in the velocity and precision of 5 axes continuous machining.
(12) New update of the "AMM" module (ver. 0610).
In this release have been added two new kind of machining. Start the strategies' window, in the field "Calculation based on" you will find the possibility to choose the surfaces and beside that, the following machinings:
a) Wireframe, tipically a 5 axes finishing machining, which uses additional lines for the tool orientation to set the desired slope in each area.
b) Swarf machining, in this case the side of the tool is placed between two drive curves. In this case it is possible to set or not some drive surfaces to calculate the tool's orientation. The calculation of the passes between the two drive curves can be performed with different optimization' s options. This machining includes the roughing management too.
(11) Now available the new release to import the following CAD files: Catia V4, Catia V5, NX (Unigraphics), PRO/E, Inventor, Solid Works and Step. It has been improved the management of the new 64bits platform of these CAD and the assemblys new management.
(10) A new version of the "AMM" module has been released (ver. 0610).
Here you find some news concerning this last version:
a) The procedures and the quality of results have been greatly enhanced in the machining of STL geometries with simple driving surfaces.
b) The kinematic simulation module has been improved in terms of speed and quality of results.
(9) In the curves' machining there is now thenew chance to perform more passes approaching the selected curves. The system requires the number of parallel passes and the incremet between them. This is an active option also in 5 axes machining of curves.
(8) It has been introduced the multicore processors management during some procedures of machining calculation. More updates will follow, to reach the full employ of multiprocessors used with the new computers. These updates allows to speed up the calculation times.
(7) The new version of the "AMM" module has been released (ver. 0310).
In this version the multicore processors management has been improved to speed up the tool-paths' calculation Also the kinematic simulator has been improved.
(6) Update the importing tools for Catia V4, Catia V5, Unigraphics, PRO/E, Inventor, SolidWorks and Step native files for 2010 CAD Version.
(5) It's now available a new version of the AMM optional module (ver. 1209).
Main improvements of this release are:
a) Management of multi-core processors to speed up the tool-paths calculation.
b) Change of some pictures for a better understanding of some commands.
c) Possibility to obtain the rounding of rough edges by checking the box named "slow and safe path creation". This command is in the "Surface paths" window, "Surface quality" section -> "Advanced".
d) Possibility to manage the links in spiral machining with the dedicated command "Advanced". This command is in the "Surface paths" window, "Cutting method", "Spiral" -> "Advanced".
e) New setting in the 5 axes "Tool axis control" > "Be tilted relative to impeller machining layer".
This new technique allows to set the tool rotation with more accuracy and according to the kind of object.
f) In the "Gauge check" managing window have been added/improved some behaviour strategy and parameters.
g) In the "Link" managing window some new possibilities have been added: > start and return from/to home position, settable by clicking on the button "Distances" > in the "Last exit" parameter has been added the possibility to retract to clearance area trough tube centre.
> in the "Clearance area" box has been added the "link smoothing radius" option.
> in the "Clearance area" box has been added the "keep initial orientation until distance" option.
> in the "Default lead-in/out" box there's a new field to manage the feed-rate percentage to apply.
h) In the "Roughing" management window some new possibilities have been added:
> some parameters to configure the rough by deleting or not small parts of the tool-path.
> optimized the commands in the "Area Roughing" window.
i) In the "Utility" window there are some new parameters to manage the axial shifting in a better way....
l) Empowered the kinematic simulation's features, now more fast and accurate. In this release the simulation can manage the material's removal starting from the rough.
(4) Update the "SolidWorks 2010 --> SUM3D" (option) exporter tool.
(3) Update the Parasolid importing tool.
(2) Update the "Rhinoceros .3DM version 4.0 SR7" importing tool.
(1) Update the importing tools for Catia V4, Catia V5, Unigraphics, PRO/E, Inventor, SolidWorks and Step native files.
(42) The new "AMM" option version is released (Ver. 0909). That new version includes a remarkable computing time reduction and also following improvements:
a) New speed up cinematic simulator, with a new interface, new "analisis / removing material / stock managing" advanced features.
b) New tilting tool's strategies for impellers machining.
c) New parameters to better optimize spiral machinings.
d) New parameters for external sharp corners rounding.
e) New "check collision" parameters for machinings conversion (from 3 to 5 axes) and to better manage frontal and lateral rotations in order to avoid collisions in 5 axes toolpaths.
f) New ways to manage the "first entry" and the "last exit" links.
g) New "stock definition" parameters that allow to remove the short "rest material" movements.
h) New "Roughing" parameter regarding the "Multi passes" option, now is possible manage the "Gradual machining XY angle".
i) New "Roughing" parameter regarding the "Depth Cuts" option in order to optimize the passes ("Apply depth to" parameter).
l) Parameters and computing optimization for impellers roughing.
m) New "Utility" parameters about the "Axial shift".
(41) With last update (19/11/2009) a "Collision check of tool components" bug has been fixed.
We reccomend you to download it as soon as possible.
(40) In SUM3Dental we can mill an Implant Bridge without cylindrical hole inside the Model. In machining name add the "BREAK" word and the software calculate the drilling also without cylinder.
(39) In SUM3Dental there is a new icon to manage the shrinkage factor. there are 2 applications for this icon: the first when you don't remember the scale factor used during the importation of the model; the second when you need to mill in Zirconium the same file done in Plastic or Wax. In this case it is not necessary to reimport the model.
(38) In SUM3D dental a new command has been added. Is now possible to select only support pins we want completely cut.
Durind the STL import step this new feature automatically creates GREEN and RED support pins:
GREEN pins are connectors will be completely cut (by following the tooth surface, if strategy expects it),
RED pins are connectors will not completely cut in order to hold the item to the stock (then to avoid the detachment between item and stock).
These two different machining strategies must be added or just existing into strategies.
The "Select the cuttable holders" command lets to manually define connectors to completely cut (green) and connectors to don't completely cut (red).
(37) Add a new parameter in tools archive. It's the xy feedrate when the tools is in the full material. This parameter it's used only in the Pocketing.
(36) SUM3D Dental: in the optional importer now it's possible import the Etkon ® (SCN - NMDL) format.
(35) SUM3D Dental: it's add the possibility to avoid to change parameters with a flag in default parameter, strategies.
(34) SUM3D Dental: in the optional importer now it's possible import the Sweden&Martina ® (COF - XTL) format.
(33) SUM3D Dental: now it's possible mange the shrink value for the sintering process like a % or like a fixed value. Go to default setting, Model import.
(32) SUM3D Dental: It's possible manage the shift of the raw during the importation. If the flag it's active, during the import process will ask the shift value. Normally it's used when the equipment can manage more than one disc.
(31) SUM3D Dental: Now it's possible to add a picture to personalize the desktop. In default setting, Configuration you will find all information.
(30) The archives of the optional importers are updated (Catia V4, Catia V5, Pro/E, NX (Unigraphics), Inventor, Solid Works and Step).
This update is necessary for the compatibility with last 2009/2010 versions of mentioned CAD systems.
(29) In SUM3D Dental a new parameter has been added; in "Default settings -> Model Import" window in now possible to "Keep the original position" (Yes/No). That parameter lets to deactivate the "automatic translation of imported models" that avoids overlap with previously imported models.
(28) In SUM3D Dental the "STL import" window has been modified. The "Surface Reposition" flag has been removed (system automatically will do that).
(27) In SUM3D Dental a new command has been added, is now possible import the equipment.
(26) In SUM3D Dental "5 Axis Full" version a new strategy to machine the undercuts parts with 5 axes in continuum has been added.
(25) In SUM3D Dental now are available, (as optional modules), following STL importer tools: Cercon (ART) ®, Sirona (CDT/SDT) ® and Procera (C3S) ®.
(24) In SUM3D Dental "Accurate Positioning" command has been modified. Now it lets also to roto-translate links.
(23) In SUM3D Dental "Create link" command has been modified. Now it's no more necessary use lenght, the link will be create depending on existing offset curves.
(22) In SUM3D Dental now "Create link" command can also connects two elements. In this case the link's length will be referred to effective distance between two elements.
Other dimensional parameters remain same as standard links.
(21) Added new "Sum3d Dental Statistics" command in Utility menu. That runs the statistics manager optional module.
(20) Added new "Show Oppisite Side" command in Display menu for a "different color" display of surfaces to be machined. It's really useful to better show parts of the model to machine in 4/5 axes; the opposite side of machining side (also showed with a vector) will be showed with a different color user selects after command start.
(19) in SUM3D Dental, a problem in "Accurate positioning" command has been fixed; now is possible rotate the object on XY plane and "+/- 180" degres only, just in case the "Bounding Box Optimizer" is enabled (in STL import procedure) and you have a 4 axis machine (Default settings\Strategy\Number of axes = 4).
(18) A problem in "Create Cross Section" command (Curve menu) has been fixed.
(17) In SUM3D Dental it has been added the command to manually create the Prep-Lines. It is now possible to draw them manually by mouse clicking in the middle of the border collet. Finally you will set the width to automatically create the 2 machining curves.
(16) The archives of the optional importers are updated (Catia V4, Catia V5, Pro/E, NX (Unigraphics), Inventor, Solid Works and Step).
This update is necessary for the compatibility with last 2009 versions of mentioned CAD systems.
(15) "Creation curve" commands has been modified. Now curves can be directly create on selected planes and view. These curves are usually used for machining delimitation or toolpaths refining. Related "Creation curve" commands are: Rectangle, Circle, Arc, Polyline, Polyline to Machining, Curve, Create Cross Section.
(14) In SUM3D Dental are added/modified this functionality:
a) Now you can't rotate the STL model during the import. This functionality it's available in the main windows setting.
b) In system default in the Tab called configuration it's possible manage type and icon dimension
c) In system default in the Tab called links it's added the possibility to manage the vertical links
d) In system default in the Tab called raws it's add the possibility (yes/not) to "Rough cut according to the axis of insertion"
e) In system default in the Tab called report are added all parameter to manage the path, the folder and the graphics attribute for the report.
f) in "fine positioning" command are added three button to manage the rotation on XY, XZ, YZ plane.
(13) From machining list in now possible to set a common tool for more machinings. By selecting machinings from list and clicking mouse's right button you can select "Tool Parameters" item to choose common tool.**
(12) Adjusted "Feedrate reduction on toolpath edges" parameter into Zig-Zag machining, that in some case didn't properly works.
(11) Added "Feedrate reduction on toolpath edges" parameter into "Curves milling" machining. That allows to reduce set feedrate (located in tool parameters box) in proximity of Z step movements or toolpath direction changes and allows to avoid any problem with small tools.
(10) Optimization of some computing routine parts regarding "Pocketing, "Z-level contouring" and "Flat surface" machinings.
(9) Update the importing tools (optional) libreries for Catia V4, Catia V5, Pro/E, NX (Unigraphics), Inventor, Solid Works and Step.
It's necessary to avoid incompatibility problems with last versions of just mentioned sw cad.
(8) Added some changes in SUM 3D Dental:
a) In configuration window (default settings) you can choose 5 different configurations (low to maximum). For each level there will be available only the indispensable icons.
b) When you import the abutments, SUM3D Dental add automatically to the model some part in order to machining the internal edge of the exagon.
This metodology allow to haven't interferences beetween the exagonal parts. If you need to machining this area you must create a strategy with curve rest milling.
c) During the STL importation it's now possible to create connections and preplines in automatic mode.
d) Possibility to create reports that point out the inserted crown names into stock to be machined.
(7) Fixed a "machining name" rename problem occurred in machining list.
(6) Added some changes in SUM 3D Dental:
a) Possibility to set some default parameters in order to allow user a better dental features usage.
b) Possibility to create rectangular links.
c) Added warning messages coming up when user runs a no-sequence command.
d) 3 "Capsule module" versions are now activated:
> 3 axes with 0/180 degree table orientation
> 4 axes with automatic table orientation
> 5 axes with automatic table orientation, stock thickness optimization and automatic 5 axes machinings.
(5) Some "automatic zoom" tools to manage the object into the workspace are now optimized.
Before that, making some modify/add operations on surfaces or curves the object wasn't automatically centered on the screen.
(4) Update the "SolidWorks 2008 --> SUM3D" (option) exporter tool.
(3) Update the Parasolid importing tool.
(2) Update the "Rhinoceros .3DM version 4.0 SR4b" importing tool.
(1) Update the importing tools for Catia V4, Catia V5, Unigraphics, PRO/E, Inventor, SolidWorks and Step native files.
(11) Two new parameters added to define data in cinematic simulation. The parameter "interpolation for distance rapid moves " allows to fraction these moves. The parameter "angle tolerance for using machine limits" applied when activating controls on axis limits.
(10) Added a parameter to import files from Catia V4 and V5 (optional). The parameter "Surface margins redefinition", allows to obtain smoother edges.
(9) In Configuration menu has been added the new command "Show unreachable toolpath". This new feature allows to display in graphic way all not milled areas. In this way it is possible to configure the machining choosing to mill the entire area, or to set a further machining to mill these areas. When the command is enabled, the user can hide or display the areas not involved in the machining.
(8) In Configuration menu has been added the new command "Rest material by 3 or 5 axis". in case of undercut or indexed machining, this new command allows to manage the dynamic rough to set the rest-milling of these areas.
(7) The update file for the AMM libraries has been modified. Now all files in the Upgrade folder have been named with the version name. The version shows the month and year of release. The files related to the new cinematics have been removed from the libraries, to get a lighter download file . Anyway, upgraded cinematics or new cinematics files are in the main AMM update folder. The files name is Machines.exe and its always self-installing.
(6) New CNC added to complete the Cinematic Simulation Module.
(5) In the start window of the cinematic simulator, added the possibility to input the simulation tolerance and the flags to activate the collision control of the toolpath and of the re-positioning.
(4) New version of "AMM" for 4/5 axis machining. Great improvements of some functions and reduction of the calculation times. New implementations:
a) Surface paths -> Parallel cuts": added the button "Select machining angles" which allows to set the machining angle of the cuts strategy.
b) Surface paths -> "Area" -> "Type" -> select the option Full, start and end at exact surface edges to display the button "Margins": it allows to set start and end margins, the additional margin to overcome surface edge inaccuracies and to add the internal tools radius too.
c) Surface paths -> updated the window to define the start point of machining.
d) Tool axis control" -> "Output format": by selecting 4 axis and activating the option "Rotary Axis" its now possible to set the contact point of the tool (point tool to rotary axis).
e) Gouge check" -> in the options "Moving tool away" added: Retract tool in user defined direction and Retract along tool contact line.
f) Gouge check" -> in the option "Leaving out gouging point" following options have been added: Dont trim toolpath, Trim toolpath after first collision, Trim toolpath before last collision, and Trim toolpath between first and last collision.
g) Gouge check" -> Strategy and parameters: in the options "Tilting tool away from max angle" have been added new commands to better manage rotation/tilting to avoid collisions.
h) Gouge check" -> Strategy and parameters: added the new option " Report collisions" and the flag "Report remaining collisions" to verify the areas where the tool collides. In this case the colliding parts of the tool will be highlighted in dotted yellow.
i) "Link": it has been changed the "Lead-in/out" section. Now the window sets the default of the available macros.
l) "Link": with lead-in and lead-out macros, its possible to use the default macro or to input a customized macro for the chosen strategy.
m) "Link" -> updated the window to set the clearance area. Its now possible to set a vector to create the clearances plane/cylinder.
n) Roughing menu -> Stock definition -> updated the window "Stock def. parameter". Now its possible to set a value to shrink or expand the stock, and to use the new flags to check stock collisions with the tool shaft, the arbor and the holder.
(3) Update of the importer of the Parasolid files.
(2) Update of the importer of the Rhinoceros native files .3dm release 4.0 SR2.
(1) Update of the importer of the native files of CAD: Catia V4, Catia V5, Unigraphics, PRO/E, Inventor, SolidWorks, and Step.
(50) In "one-way" and in "zig-zag" machining has been added the new parameter "Use the Z feed" which allows to add in the NC file the Z feed defined in the tool's parameters.
(49) New CNC added to complete the SUM3D cinematic simulator option.
(48) In the AMM module is now possible set the scallop height which defines the step over.
(47) More chances to rotate/traslate the tool paths in the AMM module. The function now allows to control collisions during the tool path rotation/traslation.
(46) Added in the AMM module the management of links between roughing passes. Now can be set the strategies of first-entry/last-exit between roughing passes.
(45) Added in the cinematic simulation of the tool path, the possibility to instantly verify collisions. This allows to speed up the check of the tool path without wasting time.
(44) In the two curves machining it has been added a parameter for the management of Intermediate retraction positioning. In case of machining on large sized models, and with great variation in Z, it is possible to manage intermediate positioning: minimum possible Z, maximum Z or highest point of processing.
(43) In the calculation of machining times it has been added Rapid paths. This means that the calculated times will take into consideration all the parameters, including the input of machine data (machine archive), accelerations/decelerations and effective speed of rapid paths.
(42) In the machining of 5 axis curves is now active the parameter Path sharp corners rounding. This allows the introduction of small radii on all corners present in the path. In this way movements due to the change of path direction are smoother.
(41) New commands to memorize the history of the model. This set of 3 commands in the "Configuration" menu allows to display the operations of rotation, traslation, mirroring and scaling performed on the model starting from the acquisition.
Enabling the command "Model History", and than " Show model history" its possible to verify operations and values applied till then. The command "Delete model history" resets the status. This choice consents to check the performed operations avoiding mistakes or wrong repetitions.
(40) Added the management of the postprocessor for CNC TPA for a direct programming in the specific format for the machining of wood.
(39) Added a new postprocessor for CNC Mecanumeric model MF1525 "Mecanum". This 3D pantograph is programmed in incremental encoder steps.
(38) "Roughing" -> "Transform/Rotate": fixed some problems of the AMMs command to rotate/traslate the tool paths.
(37) Increased to 30000 the maximum number of curves manageable in SUM3D.
(36) The start of the cinematic simulation of the tool path has been highly speeded (optional module of SUM included in AMM).
(35) In machines archive it has been added a new parameter to link or not the corners within rapid movements.
(34) New features for a better graphic management of the simulation have been added to the cinematic simulator present in the AMM module or as an option of SUM3D.
(33) The libraries of the AMM advanced module (4/5 axis machining) have been updated. The new release offers these new features:
a) Strategy menu -> Cutting method: its now possible to select the spiral path too.
b) Strategy menu -> Machine by: new command to optimize paths per lanes or regions.
c) Strategy menu -> Surface edge handling: command to set the dimensions of the fissures to be avoided in the path calculation.
d) Strategy menu-> Advanced: command to set the general tolerance for the tool path calculation.
e) Strategy menu-> Start point: its now possible to set a shift by value, applied in subsequent cuts, to avoid scallops.
f) Gauge check menu -> Strategy and parameters -> Tilting tool away with max angle-> Advanced: new choices for optimization of the tool rotation in case of collisions. This new feature is very useful in case of application of this control to 3 axis paths.
g) Roughing menu -> Stock definition -> Stock def. parameters: new parameters available for the collision control of the tool/spindle with the stock.
h) Roughing menu -> Area roughing: new parameters to empower the potentiality of this strategy.
i) Roughing menu -> Transform/Rotate: new window to define the rotation/traslation of part or entire toolpath.
l) Time for machining calculations have been dramatically reduced with this AMMs update.
(32) New parameter added in the machining of 3D profile pocketing. It is the parameter "Dont mill the external borders of the surfaces", displayed with an additional window when choosing fields "Selected curves " and " Machining area defined by selected surfaces". In this way its possible to set up if you want to machine or not surfaces external edges, in practice if the tool must rotate around corners. To ease this function the external vertical surfaces have to be de-selected.
(31) In wire erosion theres a new parameter to consider NURBS surfaces while calculating the cut with the related syncs required from this kind of surfaces.
(30) The window to import files from CAD systems has been changed to allow the selection of multiple files to be imported at the same time.
(29) Now is requested a confirmation to import or not the existing curves, while importing a machining.
(28) Added a new postprocessor for Datron CNC.
(27) Created a new toolbar of commands (optional) purposely engineered for the production of copings, crowns and bridges, for dental applications.
(26) In the window to modify the common parameters there is now the possibility to change the machining accuracy, the diameter, the radius and the tool number, and the identification of raw part.
(25) In the machines archive added 2 fields to manage the acceleration and deceleration of the rapid movements for the times calculation.
(24) In Layer menu added the chance to determine the stock also by a curve.
(23) In Execute menu, in the machining tree, theres the new command "Compare with rest material" which allows the cut of any calculated machining, basing on the material left from a previous machining.
(22) In Tool axis orientation its now possible to select a curve to define the orientation during the machining.
(21) In 2 curves machining it has been added the management of execution sequence and the opportunity to create extensions of external sides of the tool path.
(20) In the Profile 3D pocketing is now possible to choose surfaces as an alternative to curves, for instance to make easier the radius rest. Together with this is possible to set an offset of the selected tool radius and of the condition of constant increment along selected curves/surfaces.
(19) In zig-zag or one-way machining is now possible to set the angle of maximum and minimum toolpath slope, in order to limit the machining within 2 angles.
(18) Added the possibility to work by concentric passes or parallel passes in the Pocketing machining.
(17) Added the management of technological data related to the materials which can be chosen.
(16) In the tools cutting data is now possible to manage different feddrate percentages on small radii or corners. These parameters are enabled with the command Feedrate reduction on toolpath edges.
(15) In Pocketing/Z-level contouring theres a new optimization in constant oversize toolpath: "3D concentric passes on low slope areas".
(14) Added a new disc tool with double radius.
(13) Increased from 5 to 16 the starting points in Pocketing/Z-level contouring.
(12) In Curve menu, added the command to automatically orient selected curves in a clockwise or counter-clockwise way.
(11) In Curve menu, added the command to define the start point of the machining for each curve.
(10) In Surface menu, added the command to manage and display surfaces vectors for the machining of curves or 5 axis U-Vlines.
(9) Optimized the algorithm of calculation for pocketing and Z-level contouring with a 20% reduction of time of calculation.
(8) New possibility to manage in all machining the raw part layer and the worked model updated with the various machining.
(7) In the machining tree is now possible to copy a machining by activating its overturn.
(6) New structure for the tree "Group" which for instance can contain all kind of machining of one face of the model or the machining to create a tap hole.
(5) Thanks to the advanced 5 axis module AMM (optional), its possible to manage the orientation of 4/5 axis in continuum with full collisions control on all SUM3D machining.
(4) Introduction of the cinematic simulation (optional) of the whole machine tool up to 5 axis in continuum with collisions control.
(3) Update and enhancement of the new advanced functions of AMM (optional) for 4 and 5 axis continuous machining.
(2) Update of the importer of the files .3dm for the new release 4.0 of Rhinoceros
(1) Update of the import libraries of the native files: Catia V4, Catia V5, Unigraphics, PRO/E, SolidWorks, Inventor and Step.
(7) Now it is possible to define and use the raw part on every existing machining strategies.
(6) After having calculated any kind of machining, it is possible to trim it in relation to any previous machining of which the rest material are calculated. In this way a rest milling is obtained.
(5) In the pocketing machining, the possibility to pocket with unidirectional parallel passes or with Zig-Zag with angle has been added; this possibility is added to the consolidated removal method with concentric passes with removal techniques for high speed machining.
(4) The SUM3D machining tree, existing from version 7.0, is enrich of a new level. This feature allows the machining rationalization, keeping them under logical structures.
For example, defining a group Roughing, it will be possible to include all the single machining that finalize the roughing cycle of the workpiece. This new level is also used by the Drilling Wizard, already seen in the previous paragraphs, in order to obtain under a single item drilling, all the necessary cycles for their machining (i.e.: centering, drilling, boring, flaring, etc.).
(3) Thanks to the acquired experience with the AMM module, SUM3D is enriched of additional module (Option) for the machine tool kinematic simulation. As the one included in the AMM module, the kinematic simulator allows the workpiece visualization during its machining.
In this way it is possible to show all machine movements in action on all the axes, linear or rotating. The standard machine tool library, already provides several type. Anyway this library can be customized with your machine.
(2) Drilling configuration. A new area of development is related to the management of the machining performed along the tool axis, like simple drilling, threading, flaring, boring, etc. or complex like deep drilling with boring an flaring or chamfering or threading.
The group creation, customizable, is made through data input in a Wizard dialog and allow to perform a complex machining (with multiple tools) in a single command that includes all related parameters. The machining tree changes its aspect where you can see the drilling sub-machining. The group with this sub-machining allows, for example, to work on four face of a workpiece, automatically repeating the same operation for every face, specifying the rotation of the mandrel axis, the limits of working area and the data to generate the part program.
Moreover, through a customizable window, you can define the drilling rules for any kind of complex drill, following the method and the order used in the shop floor.
These data can be stored as MACRO in order to reuse them on every round geometry that identifies the machining position or, for a 3D drawing, on every cylinder portion that identifies the position and the automatic head or table orientation.
(1) Tools table related to the materials to be machine. In SUM3D ver. 2005 a new material table has been introduced. It allows the list of materials with the cutting technological parameters to every tool archived. The parameter definition is very simple and intuitive, thanks to the dialog windows. It is possible to make it during the tools library creation process or at any following time. This tools list can be exported to other SUM3D licenses.
(17) In the contouring parameter table, the parameter machine form bottom to top has been added.
(16) Pocketing/contouring parameters change,. The contouring type parameter in the contouring machining, that provided the choice concord/discord/bidirectional has been moved in the parameter table, common to the pocketing and contouring machining. It has been modified in Machining type, with the same option. This change allows to execute the pocketing on discordance or bidirectional way.
(15) The components related to the optional importers (Catia V4, Catia V5, Step, Pro/E, Inventor, UG) has been updated. To do that it is necessary to install the related updater (100 MB) available on the web site. The update offer an important improvement in the importing time.
(14) The possibility to load a shaped tool has been added to the tool library. With this function it is possible to draw the tool with a CAD system, loading it in the archive and using it in the curve machining (marble, wood, etc.).
(13) The new pocketing algorithm, provides to machine in concordance, discordance or bidirectional. In case there are not concordant movements with the choice made, SUM3D will execute a reposition to grant to work always in the selected more.
In case of pocketing, several automatism are available. They provide the calculation from external to internal or vice versa depending how the surfaces to be machined are shaped. For example, if a mould is machined, the calculation will be executed from outside to inside. Working on a cavity, the calculation will be done from inside to outside. In case of a cavity with open wall, the software will check the total development of closed and opened areas and, if the open areas predominate, the develop of the toolpath will be from inside to outside or vice versa.
The new algorithm provide the raw part management, that is possible to define the raw part (to be activate on layer) with imported or created by SUM surfaces, so that the working passes are related only to that areas.
The optimization of the removal section activate specific behavior, useful in case of hard material machining or in the high speed machining. In this case, every time the tool is located in an area where it is necessary to remove material from stock, a trochoidal movement will be generated in order to create the wide area to allow the following correct machining. The descent in a narrow areas will be machined with helical passes. According to the shape of the area under machining, the excavation passes will be generated with offset movements or with passes along a direction. The starting point where the tool descent, cant be outside from delimiter profiles or from XYZ limits. The application of the maximum descent angle (or vertical descent) in the material is bounded by the downloaded in the lower part tool configuration. Indeed, setting NO in this parameter, the tool is avoided to descent into material in a vertical direction or with an high descent angle.
In the contouring, the new algorithm provide:
a) set the machining sequence by zone or by Z
b) machining from top to bottom or vice versa
c) delete the border toolpath, that is in case some model surfaces are selected, the tool can avoid to bypass the edges.
Always in the contouring, the new algorithm provide, even is not set, a detachment from the surfaces before the reposition for a new pass.
(12) In the SUM3D simulator, several new command for the raw part definition has been added.
Area definition, this command allows, through some windows, the activation of the raw type to be represented and its related values.
If any raw part is defined, one will be generated with the maximum XYZ encumbrance of the simulated toolpath. The choices of type of raw part are:
> Parallelepiped, the minimum and maximum XYZ are requested. It must be active or not.
> Cylinder, the lower and upper radiuses together their center coordinates are requested
> Sphere, the radius and the center coordinates are requested, together the option to create an hemisphere.
> Mesh, tell the use of the raw part included in a SUM3D layer and activated as raw part.
> Curve, tell the use of a curve included in a SUM3D layer and its activation as raw part. In this case it is necessary to set the raw part height.
(11) In the tool archive the possibility to add a tool list from a CSV file (achievable with Excel or a test editor like Windows Notepad) has been added. To activate this functionality, you have to choose the CSV type during the import phase. With this selection, it is possible to import any text file that uses a separator (; as default). This file have to be made with an header where the name of fields included in the SUM tools archive are defined (file tools.arl placed in the SUM folder). In the below lines, the related parameters have to be included as the following example:
ZTestAxis;1;1;10.5;50;description test CSV;
(10) There are many news added in the last three months, here below you can see the details:
a) perform rest milling with every machining strategy with raw part update.
b) automatically work as pocketing/contouring with continuous spiral toolpath in cavity with vertical wall.
c) use disc tool (cylindrical/toric/spherical) on undercut machining with complete collision check of tool and tool holder.
d) use the strategy of 3D curves pocketing in the rest milling with constant machining allowance. Moreover, in case of Zig/Zag rest milling, the inversion of machining direction has been done outside the workpiece (High speed).
e) managing, through the max tool length command, the same machining with different tool length. In this way it is possible to machine deep cavities or complex surfaces with the same tool that works with different protrusion, giving the possibility to work faster when the tool has less overhang and reduce it where a deep machining is needed.
f) managing, through the command Tool component check, the behavior of the collision check. This parameter, besides the enabling of this control on tool and its components (Mandrel, etc.), allows to define the behavior between the possibility to delete or raise the collision toolpath in order to use the Update rest function, also on the indexed 5 axis machining.
(9) To avoid creating conflicting behavior using traditional tools (toric or spherical) on undercut machining, the possibility to use not shaped tools has been disabled. To perform undercut contouring machining is now needful to use a shaped tool.
(8) In the SUM3D accessories, the new command mesh reduction has been added. It allows to reduce, by percentage, the visualization and/or machining meshes.
(7) In SUM3D it is now possible to update the rest material map (apply toolpath in show rest material) even in case of machining executed with non vertical tool axis. The display remains as grid, therefore is not possible to show the undercut.
(6) In the XY contouring machining, it is possible to select constant scallop height rest milling as a new mode: Concentric 3D passes in low slope area. It allows to automatically machine as 3D pocketing mode, the areas of the model with a slope less than 45 degrees.
(5) In the curve machining, the possibility to select circular profiles that intersect other profiles has been added. In this case the areas intersected by those profiles are excluded. This function is particularly useful when shapes have to be cut with milling, leaving some areas not machined that allows the cut object to avoid to follow down, avoiding also a possible tool damage.
(4) The below two commands has been added to the curve menu:
a) The curve orientation command, allows homogenize the curve direction, in order to avoid to try several time the curve selection in curve machining.
b) The central profile computing command can be useful, for example, in two situation:
- in engraving to determine the central curve of a writing in order to follow it with the center of the tool and avoiding that the font width will double the tool size when the outline of writing is machined.
- in the machining (eg: flattening) where is needed to follow a center path with a tool in order to obtain the removal with a single pass of the material between the selected curves.
(3) In the curve machining the new parameter Curve to determine the machining sequence has been added. It allows to set a curve where its path is used to identify the machining sequence of the selected curves (it is not applied in pocketing). The curve intersection sequence set by the profiles that will be machined, will correspond to the sequence of their machining.
(2) In the curve machining, now it is possible to set the starting point, placing small rectangles on the curves, similarly to the existing possibility to place small circles to create microjunctions.
(1) A new item in the tool parameters has been added: feed without material removal that lets to set the feedrate to be applied to the working movements (G1), where the tool do not remove material.
By now, this kind of movements has been identified only on pocketing and contouring machining, but will be extended to more of them. The working movements where the tool do not remove material are, for example, the connection movements during pocketing, that are made at working speed because the tool is moving close to the material even if there is no material removal.
With a correct use of this parameter, it could be possible to save time on these types of machining.
This kind of movements has been shown with a pink-violet color, close to the red used for standard toolpath.